The Student News Site of Rocky Mountain High School

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

Exploring Wishmas

The opinions of students at Rocky Mountain High School about Wishmas, things they’ve asked for, and the process of Wishmas through Student Council.
Christmas+presents+wrapped+in+brown+wrapping+paper%2C+resemble+the+gifts+that+will+be+given+at+the+Wishmas+assembly.+Original+public+domain+image+from+Wikimedia+Commons.+
rawpixel.com
Christmas presents wrapped in brown wrapping paper, resemble the gifts that will be given at the Wishmas assembly. Original public domain image from Wikimedia Commons.

Wishmas has been a tradition at Rocky Mountain High School for several years and continues to be a school-wide activity celebrated at a winter assembly. Wishmas is a holiday tradition ran by no other than Rocky Mountain’s student council. This includes them putting up QR codes for students to fill out, randomly choosing wishes to be fulfilled, and organizing the event itself. But upcoming discussions consider whether this school activity is an inappropriate expense of school funds, or if it connects students to one another in a spirited school assembly through the distribution of gifts students asked for via the QR code.

Hailey Harris, a sophomore at Rocky Mountain High School says, “Personally, I don’t like the idea of Wishmas. Although it may benefit some people, I don’t like that this money is being used to pay for a lot of silly things when it could instead be used to actually help our school.”

The funds raised by the school are being used to purchase gifts, and some students believe it’s an unsuitable way of benefiting our school and could be put to other uses.

On the contrary, freshman Emma Atkinson and student council member says, “I think it’s really nice to interact with the student body in this way because we have a Wishmas assembly at the end of this year that really encourages students to participate more in student activities and is a nice way to reward kids that have done good and have shown up at Rocky, and it’s a really fun way to have Rocky join as a community.”

Fun holiday activity at Rocky or unnecessary expense of school funds, either way, it has some interesting requests by its students.

“We’ve had a lot of requests; we’ve had 20 lbs. of cinnamon protein powder, which is very interesting, we’ve had a pet horse asked for, multiple cut-outs of Ryan Reynolds and a lot of cardboard cutouts in general. We had one of Vice Principal Johnathan Dransfield. A gallon of applesauce, a girlfriend, pickles, and to be tall.” Said Emma Atkinson.

Apart from foods, protein powder, and animals asked for, some students, like Boston Clark, have asked for instruments.

“I asked for a piccolo trombone,” Said Boston.

A lot of requests have been made, but unfortunately, not all get their wish to come true.

“We try to get as many gifts as possible so more people get their wishes, and it’s just a matter of random.” Said Emma Atkinson.

From a gallon of applesauce to a pet horse, Wishmas, to say the least, will be entertaining at Rocky Mountain’s assembly this year. Although some students ask for silly and ridiculous things, some students ask for instruments or things that could be helpful for the school, and the question of Wishmas is still being contemplated by the students.