The Student News Site of Rocky Mountain High School

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

Boise zoo snow leopard diagnosed with oral cancer

A local tragedy
The+Zoo+Boise+entrance+
Tori Wood
The Zoo Boise entrance

The Zoo Boise snow leopard “Kabita” has been diagnosed with oral cancer, devastating the community.

On Jan. 24, 2024, Zoo Boise staff released devastating news, revealing Kabita, the snow leopard in Zoo Boise’s captivation has been diagnosed with oral cancer. Initially Kabita the snow leopard was sought to undergo a series of chemo treatments, however under further inspection the Zoo Boise staff and exotic veterinary clinic have concluded that Kabita’s cancer is far too developed for electrochemotherapy treatment.

Kabita (pronounced Kah-Bee-Tah), the female snow leopard located at the Boise Zoo, was originally born at Sunset Zoo, located in Kansas, and was later shipped to Zoo Boise in 2011 to join the Zoo Boise animal family, according to Boisestatepublicado.org. Kabita is now 14 years old, about one year over the life expectancy of an average snow leopard.

Kabita’s condition was first noticed by the Zoo Boise’ staff members when Kabita was reportedly acting strange. According to an article published by Zoo Boise’s official website (zooboise.org), Zoo Boise staff and management immediately took action and a checkup was immediately conducted on Kabita, where the veterinary staff found squamous cell carcinoma – a form of oral cancer. Kabita was immediately scheduled for several rounds of electrochemotherapy to help ensure her comfort, however unfortunately the treatment was not conducted as the cancer has spread into her surrounding bones, thus deeming Kabita’s cancer to be untreatable.

This sudden diagnosis has broken the hearts of multiple community members of both the Meridian and Boise areas. To many Meridian and Boise locals, Kabita is a staple member of the Zoo Boise family, thus her diagnosis has not been taken lightly by community members.

“I think its super sad, I remember going to the zoo in the summer and seeing her and I remember visiting when I was about eight years old. She was fun to watch and my favorite animal in the whole zoo, it’s so it’s devastating for me to see her get this diagnosis” – said Jonas Lockhart, a Meridian local.

“I think her diagnosis is quite sad, I’ve seen her a few times at the zoo since I was a kid, and I’m quite disappointed to hear this news, I hope she can recover.”- said Tori Rowe, an animal enthusiast located in Boise.

As Zoo Boise staff members continue to comfort Kabita throughout her devastating diagnosis, the community continues giving condolences to both Kabita, as well as the Zoo Boise staff members throughout this rough time. Members of the community are more than welcome to visit Kabita at the Zoo as well, as she will be remaining in her enclosure for the duration of her life. One community member, and Rocky student plans has already started planning her next visit to Kabita’s exhibit at Zoo Boise.

“I can’t believe this sudden news and will try to make some time to visit Kabita before she passes or is unavailable to see. My love and support go to Kabita and the Zoo Boise staff.”- Erin Levitt, an exotic cat lover at Rocky Mountain High School.

View Comments (13)