The Student News Site of Rocky Mountain High School

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

“Hooping” For That 3peat

Girl’s basketball rival against Meridian to win Queens of Linder for the 3rd year running.
An infographic of Queens of Linder with a background of posters put up by RMHS student council for the big game.
Gwynn Thompson

Queens of Linder, one of the biggest games for Rocky’s Girls Basketball. A match between Meridian High School and Rocky (both schools are on Linder Road hence the match title Queens of Linder). This Tradition started 3 years ago, and the girls have won the past 2 years, and “hooping” for the 3rd.

So far this season, the girls have really been showing out and putting in their best work. Their starting lineup consists of Cianna (Cece) Legaspi (Senior), Anna DaBell (Senior), Averee Osterhout (Senior), Logan Sailors (Junior), and Addy Osterhout (Sophomore). It seems to be that this team works very well together both on and off the court. Head coach B.J. Humphreys has been pushing these girls past the limits in every good way possible.

The team went into the Queens of Linder game with confidence knowing they could walk out later that night with the “3peat” title and trophy in hand. That game proved to fans that confidence is truly key in many situations.

Rocky pushed through and won 54-22. Player of The Game was Kenzie Bybee, a sophomore. Rocky was officially named “Queens of Linder’ for the third year in a row.

Cece Legaspi was questioned on her thoughts of this game. She said, “It feels great to go back to back to back, and I am having a lot of fun so far for my senior year.” She also explained that this game gave their team a huge confidence boost for the rest of the season. “We have only lost two games so far but they were non-conference so they didn’t affect our ranking.” She  added. Lastly, Cianna expressed she has high hopes for the team and all they need to work on is starting the games off faster rather than slow.

When the buzzer rang to officially end the game, the players and crowd were ecstatic. The girls bean to jump around and the whole Rocky student section ran out onto the court hyping the team up. It was a great core memory for everybody at Rocky. Can the girls bring the same energy to the court they did this year next year, and possibly be Queens of Linder for the 4th year running?

View Comments (3)