The Student News Site of Rocky Mountain High School

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

Preparing for Comic Con: What’s it Like?

Taking a closer look at the behind the scenes of Comic Con attendee’s
Joie Snelson
Mandalorian Cosplayer at Comic Con 2023

To many, Comic Con is seen as an event for nerds, and weirdos. But for most people who go, it’s a place to meet cool people, see their heroes, and be themselves. And this year, it’s April 6th. 

So, what even is Comic Con in the first place? Well, to put it simply, it’s like a second Halloween. For many it’s another day to dress up as their favorite pop culture character. This is called Cosplay (costume play). In a lot of ways it does feel like a spring Halloween, except that you’re not getting free candy. You’re spending money. There are lots of vendors and stores that are set up at the venue. All of them sell different things like DND (Dungeons and Dragons) dice, stickers, posters and even personal comics. 

However, there’s a lot that goes into preparing to go to Comic Con. Things like saving up for the booths or the entrance fee and especially, acquiring your cosplay. Prepping for your costume can mean something different to each person, for Freshman, Alexandria Wilson, she “usually prepares things ahead of time” to avoid any rushing or stress. “I buy all my costumes and fix them up, like a couple months before I actually go” Wilson continues, that she does usually get a chance to make costumes or order customs ones but that she still “buys them from a good company”. 

For Wilson, preparing for Comic Con means planning ahead of time, and making sure everything is smooth for the day of Comic Con. 

Now on the other hand Freshman, Rylynn Manning, likes to make her costumes. With a mix of sewing and amazon shopping, she compiles her costumes herself. “I get to sew which makes me happy and dress up as my number one favorite character right now and it’s just fun!” For Manning, costume making is a form of joy, getting to sew and create things makes her happy and excited for the day of Comic Con. 

As the date for Comic Con draws nearer and nearer, many scramble to finish those last-minute details (Unless you’re Wilson). Seeing how much excitement and joy, and even painstaking hard work people put into this event, it’s easy to see how much people care about this convention. So, for the many who haven’t been, it’s time to check out and see just how fun this Comic Con can be.