The Student News Site of Rocky Mountain High School

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

Junior Varsity Girls Basketball: Making Their Mark on the Court

basketball
Wikipedia
basketball

The gym came to life as the JV girls’ basketball team stepped foot on the court. Their skills move throughout every dribble, pass, and shot.  On Jan 29, 2024, at Centennial High School, the basketball team had their last games at districts. Rocky’s JV team has a hard worth ethic, and they work great together. Their resilience, passion, and perseverance has led them to be an outstanding team.

Rocky’s JV team had placed fourth in their last tournament; Between two games, they lost one and they won one. “I enjoyed the Owyhee game when I played some friends on the other team. When we played them, everyone played great in the game, and it was just so fun!” A freshman on the team, Sophie Tanner had said. Many players really enjoyed playing in the Rocky Verses Owyhee match-up, as it was very intense. Rocky had won against Owyhee and lost against Timberline. The team put on a show as they fought throughout the game.

As this set of young girls play very well together, there are some things that they could improve on. “I think we could improve on layups. We missed a lot to make it to the game and we could have gone farther.” Tanner said. Every team has things that they need to work on, and they needed to work on their layups. If they hadn’t missed as many layups in their games, it was possible that they could have made it to another game. They may have placed higher in the tournament.

Before the tournament, Rocky’s JV team came in clutch by being prepared for the tournament. “A lot of film study of other teams to watch what specific players do, you can guard them and how you can score on them better by knowing how they play.” Brooklyn Anderson said. They spent a lot of time trying to figure out the other teams and their players. By watching films from other schools, you can study how well a team plays together, their defense plays, and their offensive plays. They use this to their advantage as they will know their rival’s next move.

The basketball season recently came to an end for Rocky girls’ basketball. In the span of three months, the program had gotten really close. “I like our unity and I liked that we all are together, even on different teams we would all still go to each other’s games; Varsity, JV, Frosh, and it it’s cool.” Anderson said. The girls’ basketball program here at Rocky is very supportive of each other. Rocky’s teams are very positive and selfless.

RMHS Girls JV Basketball had been prepared for their tournament and had an overall great season. Congratulations on all the hard work you’ve put in for this whole season!

View Comments (2)