The Student News Site of Rocky Mountain High School

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

Diamond Dancers head to Districts

How did the Diamond Dancers do in the competition?
Maddie Hesse
Diamond Dancers with their awards

The Diamond Dancers had a very successful outcome at the district’s competition. The team qualified three out of their four dances for the state competition.

The districts competition was on Feb. 10, 2024, from 6:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The competition was held at Columbia High School in Nampa. The dancers were excited to get their routines out on the floor. Hallie Schrum (Senior and Co-Captain) said, “Districts is the most fun, but stressful competition. It’s very fun to be with the team and I feel like after we do our dances good it’s the best feeling ever.” The entire team felt ready, but they were also nervous about performing. They had been preparing for this exact moment for a long time.

All the freshman on the team were excited to be at districts for the first time. Before the competition everyone was wondering how they were going to do. According to Lily Clark (Freshman), “I’m excited for the awards because I’m excited to find out how we did.”

The team started off the morning performing their military dance. Hannah Yudman (Senior and Captain) said, “I feel the most confident in our military dance because it is the most fun to perform and execute.” The military dance looked clean and sharp, and the team ended up placing fourth overall in this category which qualified them in that category for state.

The next dance the team had to execute was their pom dance. Pom is a very difficult category to compete in but many of the girls had confidence in their abilities. Schrum said enthusiastically, “I feel the most prepared for pom because it’s very easy to do faces in pom and I like the costumes.” Everyone was cheering very loud when the Diamonds took the floor for the second time. The pom dance looked very good, and the dancers looked very in sync with each other. The choreography was very difficult, some penalties and mistakes were made in this dance. Penalties can deduct points from your overall score which can affect your overall placement. So, because of the penalties, the team did not qualify their pom dance for the state competition.

After a quick lunch break, the team performed their dance. Dance is another category in high school competitive dance. They ended up placing fifth overall and will be taking that dance to state as well.

The last dance they competed in was hip hop. They ended with a bang! The energy in the gym was high and while the girls danced, they added to that energy. At the awards ceremony they placed sixth in the hip hop category which qualified the team for that dance to compete in at state.

The districts competition went very well for the Diamond dancers. Laura Proudfoot (Freshman) said, “I’m very excited to see how we do at the state competition with the dances we qualified for.”