The Student News Site of Rocky Mountain High School

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

Rocky’s Contribution to Families in Need

RMHS student council holds a food drive for shelters in Meridian
    An example of a successful food drive
    PICRYL
    An example of a successful food drive

This November, Rocky’s student council has been holding a canned food drive. They’ve received many items to be donated to families in need during this harsh winter season.

Rocky realized that when seasons change, families begin to struggle. They knew that most would go to bed hungry, which is heart breaking. Using the resources they have, they took matters into their own hands and decided to start a food drive. Since Thanksgiving is right around the corner, and they want everybody to gain special memories gathered around the table covered in delicious food. No family should have to celebrate thanksgiving without any food to give thanks to. Although, this holiday is not just about the food, its also about friends and family, whom you want to make sure they are all healthy and have everything they need.

It is estimated that in Idaho, one in nine people do not have access to food. That is 202,390 people. The rate for children is even higher. So Rocky has gladly decided to contribute to help some of these people, so they do not go to bed hungry.

Student council worked hard advertising and promoting this food drive to make sure everybody helps out. They also made sure everything was well organized. Going around collecting anything and everything they can. When they received all the cans, boxes, essentials, and other necessary items they gathered them together and evenly distributed throughout the shelters. They filled 15 boxes to the very top with canned and boxed food, as well as other miscellaneous items on the side.

This is just one of the many contributes to the ones in need that Rocky has participated in. A couple weeks ago they also held a clothing drive and collected 93 bags full of clothing items, they were donated to shelters around Meridian. Overall, Rocky is a very caring school that enjoys doing whatever they can to help others out.