The Student News Site of Rocky Mountain High School

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

Rocky Mountain Track & Field Has High Expectations

Collin Chapman
This is a picture of some Rocky athletes running.

There are many Rocky Mountain students that run Track, and many of them have goals they want to achieve. Some of these Athletes want to run track in college so this year could be very stressful for a lot of these track runners.

Justice jones (Sophomore) said, “This year I want to get faster with my 100 meters, not only that I just want to get faster in general. So, I am going to work hard and get better at practice every day so I can accomplish my goal”. Justice is a student athlete at Rocky Mountain, he is working hard to get faster and better.

Rocky Mountain has won state for track and field 11 times out of 12. Therefore, this year everyone is expecting them to win because they have won so many times previously. This means these athletes have a lot of pressure on their shoulders. Some Rocky students’ goals were to win state this year, this is really important to a lot them. Trey Broadbent (Junior) Said, “Throughout all the years I have been at rocky, this year has some of the most talented runners and we should no doubt win state this year. If we stay determined, and stick to our goals, we should be able to make it 12/13 this year”.

Some Rocky Mountain students had mixed opinions on running because they were forced to run. Justice Jones (Sophomore) said, “I wasn’t going to run track this year because I am exhausted from football, so I wasn’t planning on running until my mom forced me to run track. She didn’t want me to lay around the house and do nothing, so she pretty much forced me to run track. So far, I am enjoying it because there are tons of friends that I know that run too”.

With all these events going on in track and field it would seem to be challenging to decide on what event to do, because there is long jump, hurdles, 400-meter, 100 meter, and tons more. With all these choices it seems hard on what to choose.

Robby Odenbrett (senior) said, with all the choices I was given I decided to run the 100 meters, because it helps with my quickness for football, and not only that, but it feels like it’s one of the easiest out of all the events. Along with that, some of my buddies run the same thing, so it also helped me choose.”

Rocky mountain track & Field is a competitive sport, with many successes and failures that you learn from, learning how to deal with failure will help you achieve the goals you have planned for yourself in the future. Not only does it make you a better athlete, but it will also make you a better person.