The Student News Site of Rocky Mountain High School

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

Diamonds Dance with Their Bling Boys

Dancer’s Spring Showcase Features New Faces
Michelle Chandler
Bling Boys with their Diamond Dancers pictured: Ethan Miller, Bri Briggs, Laura Proudfoot, Joseph Chandler

Every year at the end of the Rocky Mountain Diamond Dance season, the team holds a showcase to perform all their dances one last time. This year it as held on March 30th. These dances consist of their 4 competing routines, some soloists, halftime routines from football season, and a senior dance to congratulate the seniors. The one dance most girls look forward to is the Bling Boys. This is an annual tradition where each girl asks a boy, or has a captain ask for them, to dance at the spring show.

This dance is around 2 minutes but is very simple so that the boys can catch on easily. Although this showcase is usually to show off the dancers talent and hard work this specific dance is just for a good time. The Gym fills with laughter from the audience eve

To prepare, the boys go to morning practices with their Diamonds to learn this dance. They run laps and stretch just like the girls. Then over the course of three days, the captains teach the dance to their team along with their Bling Boys. By the time those practices are over, they are now ready for that weekend to show what they have learned.

Joseph Chandler, sophomore, who is Laura Proudfoot’s Bling Boy said, “The choreo is fun and I accidently dropped her on the first throw but other than that nothing is too difficult.” Chandler also mentioned, “The morning practices aren’t that hard because I already have football lifts, so I’m used to it.” Lastly, Chandler said he was pumped for the Saturday show.

Proudfoot mentioned, “I had a good time at the spring show and I thought Joseph was a great dancer.” This was a surprise because Chandler had earlier said he was just going to wing it, without remembering the dance. “He also remembered the dance pretty well, and didn’t mess up or drop me at the show.” Proudfoot said.

Spencer Foss, senior, was Hannah Yudman’s Bling Boy. This is Spencer’s 2nd year doing Bling Boys. Foss said, “It is really fun and I enjoy dancing with the Diamonds, but the only thing I don’t really like is waking up that early.” Since Foss’s Diamond, Yudman, is the team captain who calls the team on for all of their dances, that duty became Foss’s job. He explained. “I liked both years a lot, the only thing was this year I had to call us on and it was very scary and stressful as well as being in the front.” Like most boys like to say, Foss indicated he was a natural at dancing.