The Student News Site of Rocky Mountain High School

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

Battling Seasonal Depression at Rocky

As the chilly winds blow through the halls of Rocky Mountain High School, students are not only tackling their academic challenges but also a hidden battle that often arises during the winter months, seasonal depression. This widespread phenomenon affects many individuals, making it crucial to shed light on the issue and explore potential ways to cope with this mental health concern. Understanding Seasonal Depression: Seasonal depression, scientifically referred to as Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), is a type of depression that occurs cyclically during specific seasons, most commonly during the winter months. Symptoms of this condition can range from feeling persistently low, lacking energy, experiencing changes in appetite and sleep patterns, reduced motivation, increased irritability, and a diminished interest in activities that were once enjoyable. The school counselor at Rocky was asked, “How can students get help?” She said, “Students can always come down to the office or talk to a trusted adult.”

The school administration, teachers, and fellow students play crucial roles in fostering a supportive environment, particularly during the challenging winter months. By promoting open discussions about mental health and implementing proactive measures, Rocky Mountain High can become a place where students feel understood and supported. Students should not hesitate to reach out to these professionals if they require additional assistance or counseling. Conclusion: While the Rocky Mountain High School community grapples with the beauty of the winter season, it is important to acknowledge and address the potential mental health challenges that come along with it. By increasing awareness, fostering a supportive environment, and providing necessary resources, we can ensure that students at Rocky Mountain High are equipped with the tools needed to combat seasonal depression and thrive academically, emotionally, and mentally throughout the year.

View Comments (6)