Covid is Still Messing Up the Vibe

Cole Christensen, Reporter

Over the last almost two years, life has not been the same for anyone. In March 2020 the world shut down and life has not been the same for anyone since. Everyone has experienced something negative from this pandemic, whether it has been sickness, loss of jobs, or even death. Countless other negative outcomes have been associated with Covid. 

Now I’m on varsity this year and things have returned back to pretty much normal, but it still just does not feel the same as it used to back in the day.

— James Hall

A senior at Rocky Mountain High School, James Hall, was asked what the worst result from the pandemic on his life was. Hall stated, “It really messed up sports. I am on the basketball team and our whole last season was empty stands which changed the dynamic of the game tremendously. Now I’m on varsity this year and things have returned back to pretty much normal, but it still just does not feel the same as it used to back in the day.”  

Many athletes at Rocky have had similar experience in this regard. Not only has this pandemic affected students in a physical aspect through sports and health complications with the virus, but the mental health of students has also been affected. Since the dynamic of life has changed so much, many activities that students relied on for enjoyment have suffered. 

Another senior at Rocky Mountain, Dylan Robertson, was asked if Covid 19 affected any activities he participated in. Robertson said, “I was really into going to the gym. I thrived on it. But when a lot of gyms closed and had restrictions, I found I didn’t feel the same. It was routine for me and helped me a lot so not having it was a drag on me physically as well as mentally.”  

Jack Wright, a former West Ada student who now attends Utah University, was asked if he picked up any new habits or hobbies to cope with this pandemic. Wright stated, “I picked up running. It has been great for me in every way. It saves me mentally and physically and gives me something to look forward to everyday. It sucks this whole situation has happened, but you have to be grateful and look for good in everything and running for me has been the good for me.” 

Staying positive is easier said than done, but it’s a start for those who are still experiencing affects, directly or indirectly, from the pandemic.