COVID Changed High Schools And It’s Going Bonkers!

Did COVID really change our schools, or did it change the way we interpret school?

Kage Moore, Reporter

COVID has changed a lot about what students can and cannot do. COVID has also changed schools quite a bit, and high schools are no exception. Students who have had to alternate days from doing school online at home and going to school. Three people from Rocky Mountain High School were interviewed to see their opinions on this topic. They were asked a series of questions. 

SaraSturtevant, an 11th grader at Rocky Mountain High School, responded to these questions:

Q: What’s your opinion on hybrid learning? 
A: “I like hybrid learning but I feel like there should be options. You should be able to choose hybrid, fully online, or fully in person. However, I understand that it would be hard to organize.” 

Q: What have you seen change at school?
A:
 “I’ve seen people change and show their true colors, becoming who they want to be, and finding themselves for once because during quarantine, we had time to care for ourselves.”

Q: How did COVID change high schools in your opinion? 
A:” COVID has made people more aware of the impact on the world and the importance of their behavior.” 

Q: What is the effect on you going back and forth to school?
A: “
I’ve noticed that it makes school much more difficult because some people thrive online and others thrive in person, but by doing both simultaneously it isn’t necessarily good for either.” 

Q: Is our school being safe enough?
A:
 “I think the school is being safe in some aspects but could be doing much better. I think their guidelines are too flimsy and are inconsistent.

Q: What can schools do to help stop the spread even more? 
A: “Stricter guidelines and no crowds at sports games, not even parents.” 

Q: What are good and bad things about online school? 
A: “The good, easier to social distance and stay safe. The bad, easier to fall behind, get lost, and greater disconnect of communication.” 

Let’s see what Julia Alvarado, a 10th grader at Rocky Mountain High School has to say:

A: 
“I don’t think that kids should be back in school since a lot of our teachers/staff are older and/or could be at risk for COVID, but hybrid is better than going full time.

Q: What have you seen change at school?
A: “A lot less socializing, but other than that not much has changed.

A: “It’s a lot more independent.” 

A: “It’s
 confusing sometimes because you don’t know if you’re going this day or if you are online.

Q: Is our school being safe enough?
A: “Personally, I don’t think so. Teachers should be stricter with making sure kids are wearing their masks the correct way.

Q: What can schools do to help stop the spread even more?
A:
 “Make sure everyone is wearing their masks correctly, make more of an effort to social distance people, and make sure everyone uses hand sanitizer when they enter a room.

A: “Online school is a lot more flexible, and you can get stuff done in your own time. But it’s a lot less structured and easy to procrastinate.

Another student, Kadence Bateman, is leading towards going back into school.

A: “It’s not my favorite thing, I way more enjoy being in school.” 

Q: What have you seen change at school?
A: “
Wearing masks, social distance, not big groups in the hallway, and barely any cars in the parking lot.” 

A: “
It just changed the perspective.”

A: “It can get confusing sometimes, knowing what you are supposed to be doing and how to do it.” 

Q: Is our school being safe enough?
A: 
“I think the school is being super safe.” 

A:
 “More distancing and enforcing masks.” 

A:
 “Good, sleeping in, bad not really understanding what is going on.” 

In conclusion, What are you doing to stay safe at home and at school? COVID has changed a lot of things over time, just don’t let it change you in a bad way. Stay safe out there.