The Student News Site of Rocky Mountain High School

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

Thanksgiving Break Controversy

Should it have been a two-week break?

Recently coming off Thanksgiving break, we have seen lots of tired students, just waiting for the next break. This begs the question, should our Thanksgiving break be two weeks? One reason this w

McCall Idaho, the place Jake would have traveled to if he had the time. (Ari Siwek)

ould ultimately be a positive change is to reduce stress. A longer break could provide a much-needed opportunity for students and faculty to rest and recharge, reducing stress levels and boosting overall well-being. Sophomore Gabriel Hernandez said, “Thanksgiving break should be two weeks so we can celebrate the festivities and we need to be thankful for each other. One week is not enough thankfulness”. Many students at Rocky think the same way. Also, it’s a longer chance to chase personal and academic pursuits. Junior Natali Madrigal said , “I went to visit my family in Sun Valley but didn’t get to spend a lot of time with them. With a two week break I would have gotten to spend more time with them”. With a longer break students can study, work on projects, catch up on reading, and pursue personal interests. This year finals are before winter break, not after. This means less time to prepare on your own. A longer Thanksgiving break may be a way to reverse that. Though the students interviewed mostly believed a longer break would be beneficial, there could be some drawbacks. This could mean disrupting the academic calendar, making it difficult for teachers to replan and coordinate their schedules and adding an extra workload on teachers after the break. Senior Jake Lloyd also agrees, “Not going to lie I think one week is perfect. But if we did have two weeks I would have gone up to McCall”. With finals coming upon us, students are ready for the end of the semester and excited to be on winter break.

View Comments (5)