The Student News Site of Rocky Mountain High School

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

Dress Code Drama

Hayley Scherer
Kaden Solecki and Brody King violating dress code

There is a dress code at every school. It’s just the guidelines of what students can’t wear at school. Dress code is something most everyone is used to. Whether it’s a uniform or just rules, students need to stand by. Usually in middle school the dress code is stricter but during high school it starts to get less strict.

Brynlee Larsen was asked, “Do you think dress code is fair?” She replied with, “No, because if I’m comfortable with what I’m wearing and my parents let me walk out of the house in it, why should I be bothered by the admin?” Dress code has affected many people and a lot of people at rocky seem to think the dress code isn’t fair when it comes to boys and girls. Dayton Robinsen was asked “What are your thoughts on dress code at rocky?” His response was “I don’t know because it doesn’t affect me.” Nick Gerratt said, “It’s pretty hard to get dress coded as a guy I feel like.”

The dress code has always been controversial but most students at Rocky said that more girls get marked for dress code more than boys.

Many places have their own private dress code; these organizations may insist on particular dress codes or standards in particular situations. Such as for weddings, funerals, religious gatherings, etc. In 1996, former U.S. President Bill Clinton announced his support for the idea of school uniforms by stating, “School uniforms are one step that may help break the cycle of violence, truancy and disorder by helping young students understand what really counts is what kind of people they are.”

Many school districts in the United States took up the idea. In all 70 schools, comprising around 60,000 students, switched to school uniforms. School uniforms have been used with several schools to teach students how to dress appropriately, and in cases it has worked, and has decreased distractions in the educational systems.

One common criticism of school dress codes in the U.S. is that they violate on students’ right to self-expression. Parker Aughenbaugh said, “Dress code is stupid, and people should wear what they want because you can express yourself in clothes.”

There have been many court cases regarding school dress code, the first being Tinker v. Des Moines Independent Community School District, which involved students wearing black armbands to protest the Vietnam war.

In conclusion, students at Rocky have a strong opinion on the dress code. Should it be more or less strict?