The Student News Site of Rocky Mountain High School

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

The Rocky Roar Newspaper

Bringing the Muscle to the Tussle

Rocky Mountain wrestling is a growing powerhouse in the West. From intense practices to fierce matchups in notable tournaments Rocky is showing dedication to the sport.

Rocky has a coaching staff of ten allowing for more one-on-one time and training. They also host open mats three times a week to prepare for local and nationwide tournaments. With a large number of wrestlers in the area it is widely agreed upon that having a group of goal-oriented young adult wrestlers is important to the community.

Wrestling is a staple in many families and when it comes to Rocky Mountain this is very well represented. An example of such dedication to the sport is the Nichols family. Talea Nichols, currently a sophomore at Rocky, has had a very admirable career. Starting at the age of five, Talea has discovered that wrestling has many challenges, such as suffering a season ending injury, enduring tough losses, and carrying the weight of high expectations on and off the mat. This, however, has not held Nichols back from making a name for herself. The Tournament of Champions hosted in Reno was one of these successes as Talea took 2nd place in the women’s 120 weight bracket and secured her spot as All-American. Her teammate Reece Moody also won 2nd and All-American in the 235-weight bracket, as well as two others reaching the blood rounds, the matches just before making All-American.

Nichols had this to say, “I went to the TOC with the goals and expectations to win. Of course I am proud of myself and celebrate every little victory, but at the end of the day, second isn’t enough.” This statement is significant due to its representation of Talea’s will and determination to be great.

During the TOC there were 36 women’s wrestling teams set to take the mat. Rocky took 11th place in the tournament and showed that they are a worthy opponent for those to come. With consistent improvement, the girls are looking to make the top three in their next tournament in January. The girls take their battles very seriously and always show support to one another, exemplifying how wrestling is more than just a sport to them.

Talea had something more to add, “We are all super close and love to spend time together. When we are all together, we build bonds that then build strength within the whole team. Many of us have had to learn that showing up as a team creates a power that a lot of other teams don’t have, but we also must grow to our own potential. This is why we are sure to celebrate our teammates as much as our own.” Growing as a team, as well as a solo contributes to the overall benefits of Rocky Wrestling and sports as a whole.

It is apparent that there is more to the book than just the front cover, and wrestling is a powerful symbol of this. In the deepest parts of the mind sit thoughts of failure and the feeling of dissatisfaction with your own actions. When you concentrate on said thoughts it creates a desire to become better than the rest. It creates someone so unstoppable and passionate about living to their true potential that no obstacle will be left standing in its wake. Wrestling is a one-of-a-kind sport that fits this mentality like no other. The hearts of these young men and women run on the fuel provided on the mat and their fire will only continue to grow, creating a path to victory.

View Comments (12)